Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

FAQs - All FAQs

The short answer is “no”; any worker can be hired if the conditions of the labour market justify hiring a foreign worker. We know you are struggling to get skilled, committed workers. We know you are struggling to reduce your employee turnover and are having problems with hiring unqualified people. As part of our service, we will use the most effective ways to prove these facts to the Canadian Government and support your application to hire the workers you need.

The process can be summarized in three stages:

  • Obtaining Service Canada´s authorization to bring foreign workers to Canada through a positive LMO (Labour Market Opinion).
  •  Sourcing the best foreign candidates in order to meet your company´s requirements.
  •  Submitting work permit applications at the Canadian Embassy abroad for the selected candidates.

Each one of these stages involves several steps that can be overwhelming for any organization whose main focus is not recruitment. We know that the stress of recruiting from a scarce workforce can lead to the recruitment of unqualified people or people that may walk out on the job after a few weeks. We constantly hear from clients that have a 100% rate of annual staff turnover which undoubtedly impacts upon the quality of their products and/or services. WorkVantage helps these clients to concentrate on their businesses. WorkVantage will help the HR (Human Resources) department concentrate on HR and not just recruiting, which is a very small part of what HR management is all about.

LMO stands for Labour Market Opinion. This is an approval by HRSDC (Human Resources and Social Development Canada) to hire foreign workers for a certain occupation. 

It is the Canadian Government’s answer to the skill and labour shortages that the economy is experiencing in certain areas of Canada. Every year, Canadian employers hire thousands of foreign workers in order to expand their business, or to keep up with the demand for their products and services without risking their operations due to a lack of workers. Employing foreign workers can be an essential part of a company's business strategy in building a skilled, stable, and committed workforce.

Of course! In fact, this is a great incentive for all the foreign workers that you hire. Once one of them is promoted (Skill level 0, A or B), he/she will have a greater chance of becoming a permanent Canadian resident.

Depending on the wage to be paid to the foreign worker and on the LMO / LMIA (Labour Market Opinion / Labour Market Impact Assessment) stream you apply for, you may have to pay for the airfare from the worker´s country of residence to the place of work. We have deals with travel agents abroad so that you can get the best available airfare.


No, the worker has to pay for his own accommodation. You are however responsible for providing them with furnished housing at a cost that does not exceed 30% of their gross monthly salary. If you anticipate some problems with housing, WorkVantage does not expect you to become a housing specialist; our service includes helping with information so that you can find the best housing possible for your workers at the best possible price within that 30% margin.

WorkVantage has a service guarantee: we will replace the foreign worker free of charge should this rare circumstance occur. We are so confident that you will be satisfied with our workers that we will guarantee this for 3 months from when the foreign worker starts working in your company.

We ask you to measure and plan the demand for workers according to your business needs. All temporary foreign workers must work a legal minimum of 30 hours per week for the duration of their contract.  However, we will only accept orders for jobs that will guarantee a minimum of 35 hours a week. Should your business go through difficult times in the future and temporary layoffs become necessary, foreign workers have to be treated the same as Canadians and would be entitled to receive unemployment benefits.

If the position is part of a union, Service Canada does not expect the acceptance of the union but it does expect union documentation confirming that it has been advised that the position is being filled by a foreign worker, and not by a Canadian or permanent resident. Service Canada Officers have the discretion to consult with unions for specific information needed on matters such as the status of a labour dispute, the wage rate for a particular occupation, the terms of a contract, or more general labour market information.

Go to top
Immigration & Service Canada have taken measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As Immigration Experts we are totally aware of these changes. We are very experienced in providing 100% online services for Canada and abroad.      Call us for FREE